What is Facebook Messenger?
The messenger is a separate application designed to allow the conversation to take place in connection to your Facebook account, but through an external application and not within the application. You can customise your messenger application according to your preferences, and you can send money, edit the nicknames of those texting you, as well as change the colours of the messaging bubbles to your liking, When you are done, your messenger will look nothing like the standard display sites use to explain what messenger is and what it can do.
How to use the Voice Call Option?
Facebook allows you to have free voice calls with people using the Messenger app. You can use this feature to communicate with them irrespective of whether they have the Messenger app. So long as they have a Facebook account, and direct messaging enabled within the app along with a stable internet connection, you are good to go. However, you can only use Facebook for one on one voice calls. Group calls involving more than one people are not possible as of now.
If you are on your smartphone –
- Tap on the icon of the person you want to commence a voice call with.
- Next, tap on the phone icon to place a call.
- If the icon is not blue in colour, it means that the person does not have an internet connection enabled, and will not even receive your call.
- If the icon is blue, you will hear a ringing sound and the recipient may receive a notification saying that you are calling.
- You can place the phone to your ear and continue conversing like you would on a normal phone call.
- You can click on the video icon to turn the voice call into a video call if the recipient wishes to do so.
- You can use the other controls like the speaker and mute the way you would in a normal phone call.
If you are using the app on your desktop –
- Go to messenger.com and log in with your account.
- Click on the personal chat of the person you want to voice call.
- You will only be able to place the call if you are friends on Facebook, or if you have their phone number.
- Click on the phone icon to successfully place the call.
How to use the Video Call Option?
The video call option enhances user experience as you have the added senses of voice and sight that better connect you with the person you video call. In the era of social distancing, you feel like you are sitting next to the person while video calling them. However, Facebook does not allow for group video calls, so you can have a one on one with the recipient. The video call is very similar to other applications’ video call feature. There will be a small icon indicating what you look like in the video call, and your recipients video will take up most of the screen. Making the call from a place that has adequate lighting will make you look clear and improve the quality of the video call. You should hold the phone away from your face so as to capture your entire face clearly.
If you are on your smartphone-
- Tap on the chat of the person you want to video call.
- Click on the video call icon, if it is blue, which means that the recipient has a stable internet connection.
- Post clicking the video call icon the call will be placed automatically.
- Tap the button on the top right hand corner, which allows you to switch from the front camera to the rear camera and vice versa.
- The microphone button can be used to enable or disenable the transfer of audio through the video call.
- The two arrows at the bottom of the screen can minimise the chat so you can multi task on your phone, along with the video call. This feature is available only for Android smartphones.
If you are using the app on the desktop-
- Open messenger and log in to your account.
- You will see the camera icon at the right side of the chat.
- Once you click on it, it will mean that the person is receiving your video call.
The voice call and video call option helps to enhance the process of interaction with fellow Facebook users. The interesting thing here is that you get everything under one umbrella. Facebook allows you to interact with other people on messaging, as well as make voice calls and video calls. So, on downloading one application, you get all the facilities you need to satisfy your need for your social interaction.